Born in Lodi from a Merchant family trading in Iron, he soon moved to Milan where he found work as an apprentice with his brother Charles in the blacksmith shop of Defendente Oriani in via Aldus. His brother took over this firm in 1891 and from 1902 to 1908 the company was named Mazzucotelli-Engelmann.
Equipped with exceptional skill and creativity, he was able to give iron a special 'lithe' and 'flowery' aspect which was the dominant character of Liberty and Art Nouveau movement. He soon became an indispensable collaborator with established architects such as Giuseppe Sommaruga, Gaetano Moretti, Ernesto Pirovano, Franco Oliva, Ulisse Stacchini and Silvio Gambini.
He distinguished himself at the first International Exhibition of Modern Decorative Art of Turin of 1902 and the following year carried out a trip to several European countries together with the cabinetmaker Eugenio Quarter. From 1922 he directed the School of Applied Arts ISIA of Monza and was President of the Venice Biennale International Applied Arts. Among his best known exhibitions was the 'Exposition Universelle et Internationale in Brussels ( 1910 ) and the 'Exposition Internationale des Arts Decoratifs et Industriels Modernes in Paris ( 1925 ).
Although his speciality has always been iron, he also worked on designs for the jewels of Calderoni and the fabrics of Brembate. He is also mentioned by Guareschi in the book "The discovery of Milan."