André Domin and Marcel Genevriere founded Maison Dominique in 1922. Despite being a rather unlikely partnership of a self-educated man with no artistic background and a journalist, they managed to gain success quickly by designing furniture for Jean Puiforcat, a silver designer, and Houbigant, a perfumer. In 1927 Domin and Genevriere formed the ‘Groupe de Cinq’ with Pierre Chareau, Pierre Legrain, Raymond Templier and Jean Puiforcat.Maison Dominique’s Art Deco designs tended to be simple, geometric and often influenced by Cubism. They also designed the pieces with the function in mind, making comfort an additional focus point. They exhibited at important shows such as the 1925 Paris Exposition International des Arts Décoratifs et Industriels Modernes, the 1931 Exposition Colonial in Paris and the 1935 Salon des Artistes Décorateurs in Brussels.When Maison Dominique moved to avenue Kléber in 1929, Domin and Genevriere started to use metal as a regular material in their designs. This was for aesthetic and decorative purposes as much as for strength and reinforcement of edges and corners. The company completed many important projects after 1933 such as a suite in the luxury ocean liner, the Normandy and the Landscape Exhibition at the Elysée Palace. Alain Domin, André Domin’s son took on direction of the company and Maison Dominique continued its work until the 1970s.