Set of Six 1930's Walnut Dining Chairs

£18,500
Code
7625
A set of six walnut chairs with upholstered mohair seats, the backs gently flared at the corners, their central three splats carved in an inverted trapezium to both reflect the outward movement of the design and provide comfort and support to the sitter. Large brass pins punctuate each side of the velvet seat, whilst the silhouette of the seat back is gently curved.

A version of these chairs are illustrated in Sir Lawrence Weaver's 'High Wycombe Furniture' published in 1929.

The trade label on the underside of each chair reads 'Modern Decoration, Rowley / 140-2 / Church Street. W8'. The Rowley gallery was established in 1898 at 6 High Road, Silver Street, Kensington by Albert James Rowley and his wife Emma. In 1909, Silver Street was renamed and thus the address changed to 140 Church Street. The company specialised in picture mounting and framing, restoration and gilding and hosted several exhibitions; they later developed into producing carved and inlaid wood panels and furniture. Rowley was heavily influenced by the work of William Morris and the Arts & Crafts movement; indeed, a friend of his from St. Paul's School in Hammersmith, Frank Brangwyn, worked under Morris for several years, offering Rowley proximity and insight to his techniques and artistic manner.
H 84cm x W 45cm x D 50cm
H 33.08" x W 17.72" x D 19.69"
Set of Six 1930's Walnut Dining Chairs_0
Set of Six 1930's Walnut Dining Chairs_0 Set of Six 1930's Walnut Dining Chairs_1 Set of Six 1930's Walnut Dining Chairs_2 Set of Six 1930's Walnut Dining Chairs_3 Set of Six 1930's Walnut Dining Chairs_4 Set of Six 1930's Walnut Dining Chairs_5 Set of Six 1930's Walnut Dining Chairs_6 Set of Six 1930's Walnut Dining Chairs_7

@ROSEUNIACKE INSTAGRAM

Copyright © 2022 Rose Uniacke. Website by Graphic Alliance