Charles Christofle started his career aged fifteen when he became apprenticed to his jeweller brother-in-law Hughes Calmette. Christofle moved towards silversmithing and he mechanised silver and gold plating,known as galvanoplasty, which had previously been done by hand. In 1851, Emperor Napleon III ordered all the official silver from Christofle. Thereafter Christofle was acknowledged as Silversmith to the King and purveyor to the Emperor. Today Christofle silver can be found in the Palais de l'Elysee as well as palaces and fine dining establishments all over the world.