Jefferson Glass Company
The Jefferson Glass Company was founded in 1900 in Steubenville, Ohio - located in Jefferson County. It remained there until 1907 and primarily focused on the production of opalescent glass. "The company was formed to manufacture fancy glassware, which heretofore has had to be imported," wrote the China, Glass & Pottery Review in January 1901. "There is nothing too fine for the Jefferson capacity." In 1908 the company moved five miles to Follansbee, West Virginia. The new factory specialised in non-opalescent crystal until its closing in 1933
The company also operated a plant in Toronto, Canada, which was purchased by Dominion Glass Company of Montreal in July of 1916. Jefferson was well known for its production of "moonstone" glass, which was produced in Follansbee. The specialty glassware featured a white rim that gradually blended into a clear body of the glass piece, and was decorated with a raised dot pattern. Jefferson is known today for their fine tablewares and quality lighting.