After graduating as a master silversmith from the School of Applied Arts in Paris in 1941, Serge Mouille worked in the studio of Gilbert LaCroix where he remained until he established his own workshop in 1945. In the same year, he returned to the School of Applied Arts as a teacher.
For the following eight years, his commissions ranged from handrails and silver utensils to chandeliers and wall lights. Only in 1953, when Jacques Adnet asked him to design some lighting fixtures, did he begin to focus his talents almost exclusively on lighting design.
Serge Mouille developed his designs throughout the 1950s, coining his own style with angular, insect-like wall lights and standing lamps. His designs opposed the more flamboyant Italian lighting that was popular at the time. In 1955 Mouille won the Charles Plumet prize and in 1958, he was awarded a Diploma of Honour at the Brussels Expo. He began to design lighting for large institutions such as universities, schools and the Bizerte Cathedral. Towards the end of the decade, the invention of neon tubes gave Mouille a new material to work with and he created bold lighting designs for his Colonnes collection.
Throughout his career, Mouille enjoyed working with young designers and in 1961 he created the Société de Création de Modèles to inspire a new generation of lighting designers. He continued to teach until his death in 1988.