Messenger & SonsThomas
Thomas Messenger and Sons, of whom the chasing of this pair of lamps is particularly characteristic, were primarily lighting manufacturers with a metal foundry in Birmingham, opening a branch in London in 1826 (C. Gilbert, Furniture at Temple Newsam House and Lotherton Hall, Leeds, 1998, p. 606, cat. no. 733). The firm began as manufacturers of metal furniture mounts, and traded from 1826-27 as 'Manufacturers of Chandeliers, Tripods and Lamps, of every description in bronze and ormolu' (E. Moncrieff, 'Argand Lamps', Antique Collector, February 1990, p. 47).